Monday, November 22, 2010

The Mouse is Calling

Today was Jack's last day at school before the holiday. He was the cutest little Pilgrim, if I do say so myself.



With the cutest little Pilgrim sis.



I am so thankful that we are headed to Disney World for Thanksgiving!! Some people {even the ones in my family} probably don't think this sounds that exciting, but I love the magic of Disney. We haven't told Jack yet {and Paige doesn't know any better}, so it's still a big surprise to the kiddos. My parents graciously agreed to accompany us on this little adventure and my mom is working on some cute tees and dresses for Jack and Paige to sport. Photos of the finished products coming soon.



While we are hitting up Orlando, we are going to check out the Gaylord Palms SNOW! and ICE! shows.



In preparation for our trip to Central Florida, we are pre-making the Thanksgiving meal to take to the condo to cook. I was in charge of my Grandma Josie's Sweet Potato Casserole {which is arguably my Great-Aunt Dimple's recipe and who knows where she got it from}. Even if you don't like Sweet Potato Casserole, this dish is sure to make you, "slap yo' Grandma" - as we say here in the South. Here is the recipe if you want to give it a whirl this Thanksgiving. WARNING: This dish isn't for the faint-of-heart...it's so sweet and full o' butter that it would make Paula Deen proud!




Grandma Josie's Sweet Potato Casserole
4 c. fresh baked sweet potatoes (approx. 6-8 medium potatoes)
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. evaporated milk
1 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and spread evenly into a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex dish.

Topping
1 c. coconut flakes
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. melted butter

Mix first 3 ingredients and sprinkle topping over sweet potatoes. Drizzle with melted butter and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.

While I'm being thankful for silly things, I should mention that I am thankful to have a great husband and two wonderful, healthy babies. I am also thankful for terrific parents and a large, loving family {on both sides}. Ben and I truly are blessed and believe me, it doesn't go unnoticed. I am also thankful this year that we are finally in a place that allows me to stay at home. It has been a tremendous help and gives us back our weekends to spend quality, family-time together. It's truly a luxury that I realize not everyone has the ability to do and I have so enjoyed getting to spend time together with Paige. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and wish you many blessings!

We'll be back soon with a full report on the trip! Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...