With merely four weeks to go until I embark {with good friends in tow} on the run of my lifetime that will take me 13.1 grueling miles along the beautiful, sunny Gulf Coast of Florida, I'm in awe of how far I've made it, yet keenly aware that I still have a long way to go.
This weekend, Nancy and I and our two moms traveled to Pensacola for the
Double Bridge Run. We stayed with my mother-in-law, Vicki, at her home in Gulf Breeze for a girl's weekend. Our moms and Vicki served as our cheering section, photographer and biggest fans. At each vantage point, they held up this {only slightly embarrassing} sign:
They yelled, clapped, hooted, hollered and made a scene. It made the run more bearable.
The run consisted of a 15K (9.3 miles) and a 5K (3.1 miles) portion. The 15K {which is what Nancy and I signed up for} started at 7 a.m. in downtown Pensacola on Palafox Street, turned onto Highway 98 in the northbound traffic lane, ran across the 3-mile-long Pensacola Bay Bridge, through downtown Gulf Breeze past the high school where the 5K runners were waiting to start, up the 98 overpass towards the beach, then across the Bob Sikes Bridge to Hemingway's Restaurant on Pensacola Beach. There were a record-breaking 3,500 people that came out to run.
 |
| Just after crossing the start line. |
 |
| Right around the 2.5-mile mark and just before stepping foot on the first 3-mile bridge span, still smiling and shedding our layers. |
 |
Coming off of the 3-mile bridge {finally} and nearing the 6-mile mark.
Still smiling and waving. |
 |
| Starting up the overpass, which was one hill we didn't count on, a bit past the 7-mile mark. Still smiling at our adoring fans. |
 |
| Around the 7.5-mile mark, just before crossing the final {and most grueling} bridge to Pensacola Beach and collecting Mardi Gras beads from volunteers/supporters. |
 |
| Crossing the finish line. Not-so-smiley anymore. |
 |
| Stretching... |
 |
| ...and mustering up one more smile. |
 |
| Holding back from puking... |
 |
| ....okay, just one more smile. |
In the end our guntime {from the time the race started to the time we crossed the finish} was 1:36:40 minutes, but our nettime {from the time we crossed the start to the time we crossed the finish} was 1:32:35 with an average pace of 9:57 breaking our last race 10-minute-mile pace. We placed 84 and 85 out of 186 people in our age bracket and 1221 and 1222 out of 2,060 15K runners.
I recently started perusing
The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On With Your Training on iBooks by Dawn Dais. I feel in many ways like I'm the author of this book. It's a great book for women thinking about training for a half- or full marathon. I stumbled on it a little bit late in the game. I mentioned to Nancy not long ago that we should write a book about our experiences. Unfortunately, Dawn beat us to the punch. We should have thought of the idea sooner and kept logs of our experiences training along the way.
I love that Dawn's book is for the non-runner. I can't quite wrap my head around calling myself a runner. I feel like you have to have an intense passion for running. Not the love-hate {sometimes even contemptuous} relationship I feel right before a run. I have to have run on a team of some sort to call myself a runner. Or have sponsors to be considered a runner. I have to have run for a long time. Or trained others to run to call myself a runner. So I like that Dawn calls herself a non-runner. That's really what I consider myself, too. However, I have learned a lot from my short time running {or non-running} and wanted to share a few of my thoughts for those that are considering also becoming a non-runner:
- Running is a mental game. Some days a 3-mile run can seem just as grueling as 9.3. I find whatever distance I set out to run always seems awful in the last 400 meters. It's all in your head.
- A running GPS app or GPS watch is a must. It helps to keep tabs on your distance, to motivate you to keep going and to pace yourself so you don't wear out. I realize there was a time when runners didn't have this luxury - I really don't know how they did it.
- There is a zone that all runners and non-runners experience. That time period when you stop thinking about what you are doing, why you are doing it, what hurts and how far you have to go. You just zone out and run. It's a beautiful thing.
- Running *is* therapeutic. On days I feel stressed out or like I have a lot on my mind after I'm done with my run I always feel like I've meditated and sweated the worries away.
- Anyone can run! If you are in fairly good health but just don't move enough, have no injuries, joint or muscle problems that is. I never liked running. I couldn't run more than a few steps without feeling exhausted and exasperated. Now I realize that you can get past that. I found that using a walk/run method to go from couch to 5K was a great way to slowly immerse myself and build up my endurance.
- Finding the perfect shoe is key. I've experienced a lot of problems with my toes going numb during runs. I finally found that my Nike Pegasus shoes are very lightweight and don't cause any numbness during my whole run. Unfortunately, you can visit a running store and talk to the experts, but finding the right shoe for you is still good ol' trial and error.
- Running is a great weight loss program. I've dropped about 10 pounds {that I didn't know I had to lose} since I started my training in April/May of last year. I've gained muscle tone and been able to shed some much-despised flab. I've done this all without changing my diet habits at all. The best part, no gym membership is required - just step out the back door and take off. That being said, I do have a gym membership for childcare purposes and because I'm still not a warm-weather runner. I much prefer cooler temp runs, so during the summer I take it indoors.
- Races are motivational to help you reach that next goal. Sign up for the big race that you want to accomplish, but get your feet wet in shorter distance races so that you know what to expect on race day and to push you to reach that next level. I set out to run a half marathon, but I've been able to cross off running a 3K, 5K, 10K and 15K along the way. Even though at each race I swore I'd never want to run the next distance races, finishing each race has given me the confidence to move up to the next level. See #1.
- People that don't run think that distance runs are crazy and the people doing them must be out of their mind. I can't tell you how many people tell me when they hear about running a half marathon how they "could never" or "would never" want to do that. I thought Nancy was crazy when she proposed it to me. I thought or said those very words myself at one time, too. Never say "never."
- Training to run a race can jumpstart a healthier lifestyle. I've found that seeing the results of my running motivates me to make better eating choices throughout the day, giving my body what it needs to fuel itself. It's called eating to live, not living to eat. And even though I don't really have any desire at this time to continue running long distance races {or going for the marathon}, I do think it's created a routine of working out and going to the gym. There's no denying that I like the results I see and I don't want to revert back to my old self or my old ways.
- Yoga and pilates are great for your cross-training routine. On days that I don't run or it's not a rest day, I cross-train with yoga and pilates. The stretching feels amazing to my sore, aching muscles. The meditation centers my mind. And the core work, flexibility and balancing helps with my running.
- Get a good running buddy and be a good running buddy. Not just any old buddy, but someone who will help you get motivated on days that you don't feel like running and you can do the same for them. You'll never succeed if you run with someone less committed than you. If they encourage you to skip the run for a shopping excursion or dinner out instead of training, that's your sign to run the other way. Likewise, fully commit to the run yourself before committing to the running buddy.
- Get an inspirational book written by a runner, read running magazines and/or running blogs. Talk to any and all runners {or non-runners} you come in contact with. Knowledge is power when it comes to running and training. And remember it's all mental, so any way to immerse yourself in the culture will help you stay motivated and committed.
- Create small attainable goals when running to keep you going. When you feel like you can't take one more stride. Think of ways and reasons to go a little farther. I've wanted to stop running many times, but I'll only allow myself if I'm truly in pain, about to chuck or pass out. I try to think of ways to keep going. Run to that next street light, run through one more song, go one more mile, etc. Inevitably if you keep pushing, you'll get to that goal, then think, "okay now I only have XX more minutes/miles, I can do anything for XX more minutes/miles." Creating little goals helps make the bigger goal seem manageable. Keep pushing for one more goal until you reach the end of the run.
- Don't skip the stretching, warm-up and cool down portion of the run. It'll help prevent injuries and you'll feel better day after day, run after run. I have found that this is hard for type-A's that are constantly over-scheduled {a.k.a. my training buddy, Nancy}. Making time for the run is one thing, but making time for the extra 5 or so minutes on either end seems almost impossible for this personality type. This is where someone with a complementary personality will help.
So, if you are still with me, you are either (a) a really good friend (b) a family member or (c) must be considering becoming a non-runner yourself. If you are the latter...go ahead, suspend disbelief and challenge yourself. You may surprise yourself. I know I have!
I am so, so, so proud of you and Nancy! I am one of the "could never" run and I am incredibly impressed by those that DO run. Keep up the good work, the half marathon will be here before you know it and you will be celebrating your victory. {I will say the weight loss side effect is tempting me to at least give it a try!!}
ReplyDelete@Linley Paske - Go for it! I'll send you my couch to 5K plan if you want to take a look. It's very doable.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work ... will see you two in Seaside! Feel like we should get shirts made "TEAM NON-RUNNER" :-)
ReplyDeleteYou have made me want to run!! You girls rock! Rian
ReplyDeleteYou go girl
ReplyDeleteSo very happy for you and nancy. I tell everyone how proud I am of you two!! Can't wait to help y'all celebrate. Do margaritas still fit in the runner's diet?! Jen
ReplyDelete