Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Weekending

So I'm gonna hop {really, no pun intended} on to my blog for a few minutes and I'm sure hours will fly by as they usually do, to give you a quick run down of the goings-on of recent weekends. [I'm adding a sidenote to this paragraph because I started the blog post "quickly" on 4/28 at 9 p.m., but I'm finishing it, finally, on 5/2 at 9:27 p.m. So much for anything happening quickly!]

Easter Weekend

Ben and I raced down I-75 to make it to a 5 o'clock wedding rehearsal in St. Pete on Good Friday, after leaving Tallahassee around 12 pm {mind you it usually takes about 4 1/2 hours to get there}. We made it in 4, showered and Ben took off for the rehearsal quickly thereafter. Luckily, the wedding was at the hotel we stayed, and the rehearsal dinner was right across the street and thank heavens we didn't hit much Friday afternoon traffic. The hotel by the way, was officially the hot spot for the weekend. We stayed with not one famous Charlie, but two famous Charlie's that weekend...Charlie Crist {former governor of Florida} and Charlie Sheen {no, he isn't locked in a loony bin somewhere as I had thought by now he would be}.

The wedding was Saturday evening, which left us with all of Saturday morning and afternoon to relax by the pool and drink fruity cocktails with parasols and funny straws and act like child-less adults. Boy, nothing makes you realize how chill life was before kids, than having two kids and leaving them home with the {poor, unfortunate} grandparents for the weekend.

The wedding ceremony itself was intimate, personal, very beautiful and hot. For the past 9 years, Ben and I have held the record for the hottest ceremony...but finally I think our record was broken. However, once we got to the reception and the sun fell down behind the trees, it was nothing but pure heaven from there on out {and thankfully not cooler, as us in mini-dresses probably would have frozen to death}. The bride and groom arranged a really cute idea at the reception for their guest book. They had a photo booth and a bunch of silly props for drunken guests to don and take photos. Guests were to then, leave your photos in the book and sign a scrapbook page with well wishes for the new couple. You also got to keep a set of photos for your own posterity. The end product of the book was hilarious. You can only imagine what get-ups drunk people can came up with.

Here was mine and Ben's. Or should I say Viking King Sweyn Forkbeard and his Swedish maid, Brunhilda, oh yah don cha know!


It's kinda hard to see because we both had white on and the background was white. Ben was wearing a scarf with braids and I was in the viking hat. Promise we weren't as drunk as we may look.

And meanwhile back in Tallahassee at my parent's house, was Jack and Paige enjoying their Sunday morning Easter Bunny finds and lunch at Nana Boo's house.

Not sure about Jack's face here, but I guess he like the squid water squirter?!?

Paige and Jack both liked Paige's egg shape sorter.

Hunting for eggs.

Paige finds one.

I think we have an egg hoarder on our hands.

Look at Jack's face, I wonder if he was saying, "hands off my golden egg, Paige!"

Someone doesn't want to share.

Off to Nana Boo's for lunch.

Goldie Locks

Sweet girl waving hi.

Uh oh, they look like they are getting mighty friendly with this cat.

Thanks to Nancy & Boo for including my family in the day's festivities! They always love a chance to hang out with Logan.

This Weekend

This weekend back home was delightful {and action-packed}. We had two birthday parties, one trip to the pool, grilling out, new plant buying and running errands to get ready for the week ahead. The weather again was warm but still very pleasant {in the mornings and evenings}.

Speaking of birthday parties {doesn't Spring seem like one big birthday extravaganza} we are planning someone's very big, very important and very special 5th birthday! Ever since we went to Disney last fall, Jack has been adamant on having a pirate birthday party. I have a lot to live up to; recreating our experience at the Pirate's League at Disney for him and his friends won't be easy. The real trick though, is not impressing the little kids, but keeping the budget somewhat reasonable to make the captain of this ship {the Dad} happy. Jack's birthday falls on a Saturday this year, so the timing for the big number 5, couldn't be more perfect. I've been combing the city for the best place to host the late June {when it's really good and hot outside} festivities. Today I finally booked the FSU Reservation. They offer swimming, boating and kayaking and we'll also have plenty of fun and games on hand for the landlubbers, too.

They built an authentic Seminole Chickee {kind of like a tiki hut} at the Rez, which looks much like a thatched roof shelter that you'd see on Gilligan's Island. So we have rented this to have the food and tables under for the pirate party.


Here's also a sneak peek at the sample invitations {the personalized ones are on order}:


In the meantime, my mom is busy sewing and embroidering up some fun favors for each attendee. More to come later with photos and ideas for the party-going scallywags and swashbucklers.

On Friday, Jack and I went on a tour of his new elementary school. I can't believe this August he is going to be a Kindergartner! It's really hard to believe my little boy {who was born just yesteraday, right?} is going off to big kid school. The school was very nice. It's brand new with all of the most current, high-tech equipment {there are smart boards and 3 new Macs in every classroom}. Jack is very excited, too {mostly about the playground} and luckily a few of his classmates from preschool will be attending the same school, so hopefully it won't be a hard transition. If you ask him, the highlight from his tour was meeting the registrar's parakeet, Lily. The registrar is a very nice, grandmotherly lady and Jack instantly took to her. In fact, he told me as we were on our way there, that he was going to be shy. Within the first 5 minutes, he was telling the Assistant Principal his full name and Paige's full name and all about his shoes and whatever else she would listen to him about. I think he's going to do fine, but his poor Mama will be a mess that first week of school! Oh brother.

Be back soon enough with more from our little neck of the woods...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...